Wednesday 10 June 2015

Forest Vets Epping III

10th Jun 2015

My third day at Forest Vets was very quick paced. I first watched the vet remove corns from the feet of a grey hound and watched the nurses bandage up the feet following this. The procedure itself was fast.

The vet then took a dog in for an X-Ray and I got to see the biopsy that followed this on a mass on the jaw. Almost immediately after this, the theatre was prepared for a castrate on a puppy which I got to observe. Again, this was a fast procedure but nonetheless I got to learn as the vet spoke about his actions when removing the testicles.

Soon after, another dog was taken in for an abdominal ultrasound and this was interesting to see as the different organs could be distinguished by their density on the screen.

The final procedure I got to witness the cleaning and extraction of  some of a cats teeth due to the calculus build up.

Although these were all speedy operations and over soon, it was amazing to see how much could be completed in such a short amount of time.

I helped to prepare the theatres for the following day and this allowed me to become more familiar with the equipment used, especially the orthopaedic tools as these are quite different from the usual tools. I also helped to top up the syringes and swabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment